1/2 Photos of Frozen Coconut Cream Mango Cakes (Vegan)
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe is in two parts, the crust and the mousse. You can make this as 8 individual molds or a large cake using an 8" spring form pan. The finished product should be frozen for 6 hours then left to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. The original recipe was not vegan and came from Martha Stewart. The first four ingredients are for the crust, the rest for the mousse. To ensure you get all the mango use a potato peeler to peel it. Also it is best to prepare your coconut whipped cream ahead of time. My recipe for Coconut Whipped Cream is #219030 If using regular whipping cream you can either make it ahead or when preparing your cake. It's your choice. Great on a hot summer's day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted salted macadamia nuts
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1Preheat your oven to 350'F.
- 2Lightly coat the 8 ring molds with vegan spray oil. The molds should measure 2 inches high by 2 1/4 inches in diameter.
- 3Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4If using an 8" spring form pan, coat the sides and bottom with spray oil.
- 5FOR THE CRUST.
- 6Pulse the macadamia nuts and 3 tablespoons sugar together in the food processor until finely ground.
- 7In a separate bowl, combine the nuts, flour and vegan margarine with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 8Spoon a generous tablespoons into each of the 8 molds and press into the bottom.
- 9At this point, if you are using the spring form pan, press all of the crust into the bottom. No need for the parchment or rimmed baking pan. Just pop the spring form pan into the oven as is.
- 10Bake until golden brown, around 12 minutes. Let cool.
- 11FOR THE MOUSSE.
- 12Pour the orange juice into a small saucepan. Sprinkle with the gelatin and let sit for 5 minutes until soft. Heat on low stirring to dissolve. Remove from heat.
- 13Cut one quarter of one mango into 1/8 inch slices for garnish if you like. This step is up to you.
- 14I'm using the spring form pan, so I did this to decorate the top. You could also keep the mango slices to serve along side the little molds.
- 15Course chop the remaining mangoes. In a blender puree the mango and one cup of sugar plus the lemon juice until smooth.
- 16With the blender running slowly add the gelatin mixture and combine well.
- 17Transfer to a large bowl.
- 18If you are using the coconut whipped cream you can re-whip it and add the icing sugar.
- 19If making this with dairy whipped cream, whip the cream and add the icing sugar to form soft peaks.
- 20Add 1/3 of the whipped cream into the mango mixture and gently fold it together.
- 21If you are using the small molds divide the mango whipped cream mixture evenly among the molds. Fill about 3/4 full. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, anywhere from 4 hours to a week.
- 22If you are using the spring form pan follow the instructions as above and add the mango coconut mixture on top of the macadamia crust. Spread it evenly.
- 23Decorate the dessert with the mango slices, or serve them along side.
- 24When you are ready to serve this dessert, let it stand at room temperature for 4-6 minutes before removing from the molds, or spring form pan.
- 25Let sit 8-10 minutes before slicing if you are using the spring form pan.
- 26Store what's left in the fridge and cover well. I put my cake back in to the spring form pan to keep its shape.
- 27Bon Appetit.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frozen Coconut Cream Mango Cakes (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.7 mg
- Sodium 22.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 46.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: