For the unknowing, Turtle Candies get their name from their whimsical turtle shape. They're a combination of toasted pecans, soft caramel and smooth chocolate. Take into consideration freeze time required.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped chocolate turtle candies
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate glaze (recipe below)
- 8 chocolate turtle candies (left whole for garnish)
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (4 ounces total) or 4 milk chocolate squares, chopped (4 ounces total)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 1To prepare crust, combine crumbs, pecans and melted butter until blended. Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of a deep 9 inch glass pie pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- 2Spoon half of ice cream into prepared crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate turtles. Spread remaining ice cream over top. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, to prepare caramel sauce, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and whipping cream in a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- 4Spoon caramel sauce over ice cream layer and freeze for 20 minutes or until sauce is slightly firm. Pour Chocolate Glaze over caramel layer. Garnish with the whole chocolate turtles. Freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
- 5To Make the Chocolate Glaze: Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small heavy saucepan, bring whipping cream and white corn syrup to a boil over medium heat. Pour hot cream mixture over chopped chocolate and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frozen Chocolate Turtle Pie
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.0
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 249.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: