Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ideal for those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere, when it is so hot at Christmas time. We just can't eat anything hot and steamy, so this is a good alternative if you are craving a Christmas 'pud'.My mother used to make one very similar and it was delicious. From Australian Womens Weekly Magazine.
- 95 g dried figs, chopped
- 40 g raisins, chopped
- 50 g dried prunes, chopped
- 60 g glace cherries
- 100 g dates, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 125 ml brandy
- 125 g butter
- 75 g plain flour
- 110 g brown sugar
- 250 ml milk
- 600 ml heavy cream
- 220 g nutella, chocolate hazlenut spread
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 g hazelnuts, chopped coarsely
- 200 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted, extra
- Combine fruit, rind and brandy in a large bowl; mix well.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap; store in a cool, dark place overnight or up to a week, stirring daily.
- Line a 17.5cm, 1.75 litre (7 cup) pudding basin with plastic wrap, extending plastic wrap 5cm over edges of basin.
- Melt butter in as medium saucepan, add flour, stir over heat until bubbling.
- Remove from heat; stir in sugar, then milk and half the cream.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Transfer to a large bowl, stir in spread, spices and yolks.
- Cover the surface of mixture with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for for 1 hour.
- Stir in fruit mixture, nuts and chopped chocolate.
- Beat remaining cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, fold into pudding mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared basin, tap basin lightly to remove bubbles.
- Cover with Foil and freeze for 3 hurs, or overnight.
- Turn pudding onto a tray;remove plastic wrap, return pudding to freezer.
- Cut a 35cm circle from a piece of paper to use as a guide; cover paper with plastic wrap.
- Spread melted chocolate over plastic wrap then quickly drape plastic, chocolate side down, over pudding.
- Quickly smooth with hands, avoiding deep pleats in the plastic.
- Freeze till firm.
- Peel asway plastic wrap; trim away excess chocolate.
- Serve with a selection of fresh or frozen seasonal fruit if desired.