1/1 Photo of Frozen Chocolate Custard
1 hr 30 mins
I came up with this recipe after a lot of experimentation. I tried using as many methods as I could think of using different pots and heat settings. I even tried using a double boiler. Every time the result was curdled eggs. After a lot of research, I decided to try using the microwave. I can tell you that there is no other way to make custard! I've made several batches now and each one has been thick and smooth without and eggy taste. This is exactly the way custard should be and it makes for some great ice cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1"chocolate syrup".
- 2Combine the sugar, water, and cocoa in a medium sauce pan.
- 3Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a rapid boil.
- 4Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool.
- 5Once cool stir in the vanilla.
- 6"custard base".
- 7Start by heating the half and half in the microwave.
- 8Heat for 2 minutes, then stir.
- 9Check the temperature with a thermometer.
- 10Heat for 30 seconds, then stir.
- 11Check the temperature again.
- 12Continue heating for thirty second increments until the half and half reaches 170 degrees.
- 13Place the eggs and yolks in a blender.
- 14Blend on the slowest setting until thoroughly mixed.
- 15Again, set the blender to the slowest setting and slowly add the sugar, honey, salt, and heated half and half.
- 16Heat the mix in thirty second increments until it again reaches 170 degrees.
- 17Set aside to cool.
- 18Once the chocolate and custard have both cooled to room temperature, put them in the fridge to chill for one hour.
- 19Pour the chocolate, custard, and whipping cream into your ice cream maker.
- 20Freeze according to the ice cream makers directions.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frozen Chocolate Custard
Serving Size: 1 (1828 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2114.2
- Calories from Fat 1168
- Total Fat 129.8 g
- Saturated Fat 77.1 g
- Cholesterol 943.6 mg
- Sodium 896.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 222.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 202.2 g
- Protein 26.2 g