Recipe by Friday's pal
Sounds hard to believe, but it is possible to put a whole frozen chicken in the crock pot and have dinner in about 7-8 hours. When I buy the chicken, I unwrap it and take the gizzards out and also remove the paper placed under the bird. I also try to purchase a chicken with a pop-up timer. Then I re-wrap the bird and freeze it until I'm ready to cook it. Please keep in mind that I have a new crock pot which seems to be hotter than my old one, so cooking times may vary a bit. The original idea for this recipe came from Taste of Home. This is my modification. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by ladygwyn
What a great basic recipe! I was a bit worried at first, but it worked great!! I was out of wine so used chicken broth instead. I also added potatoes with the carrots. I had a ton of gravy too. I will definetly be making this again for the next time i forget to defrost the night before! Thanks so much!
- 1 (5 1/2 lb) whole chickens, gizzards removed
- 2 (3/4 ounce) envelopes chicken gravy mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray inside of crock pot with cooking spray.
- Rinse chicken and place in cooker.
- Mix chicken gravy with water and wine.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low approximately 6 hours.
- About 1 1/2 hours before end of cooking time add carrots and onions.
- When done, take chicken out and let rest on a cutting board at least 15 minutes.
- Take vegetables out of gravy; strain the gravy and thicken to your preference.
- Enjoy with mashed potatoes and a tossed salad!