Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
During the holiday season, I'm always looking for a dessert recipe which can be prepared well in advance - gives me some much needed time when company arrives. This dessert fits the bill and is absolutely delicious! Original recipe credited to Canadian Living Mag.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup espresso or 1⁄2 cup double-strength coffee
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (44 g) crunchie chocolate candy bars, diced
Chocolate Coffee Sauce
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup espresso or 1⁄4 cup double-strength coffee
- In large saucepan, cook sugar with 3 tbsp water over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook, without stirring, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with brush dipped in cold water, for 3-4 minutes or until mixture turns caramel brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stand at arms length and slowly add the espresso (mixture will initially spit as the coffee hits the hot sugar).
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute or just until smooth.
- Let cool slightly.
- In large, heat-proof bowl, beat egg yolks until pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually beat in coffee mixture.
- Place bowl over pot of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, for about 7 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Whip cream and beat in vanilla.
- Fold into coffee mixture.
- Fold in Crunchie bars.
- Spoon into a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan which has been lined with plastic wrap.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours (At this point, dessert can be wrapped well and frozen for 2 weeks).
- To make Chocolate Coffee Sauce: In small saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat just until chocolate is melted.
- Let cool.
- To serve, slice frozen dessert and drizzle with sauce.