Top Review by My Sweetie's Sweetheart
I spent all week looking for the frozen bread dough at the local grocery stores and everyone was out or didn't carry it anymore. I found your recipe. I mixed this up by hand last night and wrapped each loaf and froze it. This morning took it out before church. When I came home I made stromboli with it and I should have taken a picture. It was picture perfect and tasted great too. Thanks for the recipe.
- 12 -13 cups bread flour (If I use some whole wheat flour, I use less flour)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder (powdered milk)
- 4 packages active dry yeast (I use 4 tablespoons especially with wheat flour)
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter or 1⁄4 cup soft margarine
- 4 cups very warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- I sprinkle the yeast on the 4 cups water and add the 1/2 cup sugar and let the yeast work.
- In a large bowl or bread mixer mix powdered milk, 4 cups flour, salt and butter.
- Add the yeast water and mix (you can use an electric mixer) as you keep adding flour you will need to knead by hand (or use a bread mixer) Add flour until you get a stiff dough (you might not need all of flour, it depends on the moisture content of your flour) Knead for 15 minutes and then cover with a towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal balls.
- Smooth balls and place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze balls until firm and then transfer to freezer bags and store in freezer.
- Recommended storage time 1 month.
- To Bake: remove frozen dough from freezer, open freezer bag and leave dough in bag to thaw or place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap to thaw.
- It is very important to have a plastic covering over dough to thaw (dough really dries out without the plastic covering).
- (It usually takes about 4 hours to thaw) Shape into loaves or leave round or make pizza crust or rolls or whatever you do with freezer dough.
- Let rise until doubled (1 1/2 hours) Bake regular bread loaves at 350 for 35 minutes.
- I like to brush the bread loaf with 1 beaten egg and return it to the oven for 5 minutes.