Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe in Fare for Friends, a cookbook published in 1983 to raise money for Interim Place, a hostel for abused women and their children. Of necessity, I have made changes to accommodate a diabetic diet, but will give the original ingredients in parentheses. To further cut down on carbs and calories I usually just line a square serving dish with graham crackers (mine takes nine 2-1/2 inch squares) and eliminate the crust base, but if you don't have restrictions, by all means make the graham/nut base. The original recipe calls for strawberries, but I think any soft berry or fruit would work.
- 9 plain graham cracker squares (2 1/2-inch squares)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional) or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups sliced fresh berries (strawberries) or 2 cups drained frozen berries (strawberries)
- 1⁄2 cup splenda artificial sweetener (1cup sugar instead of both the Splenda ingredients)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup Cool Whip Lite (1/2 cup whipping cream)
- Line a square serving dish with the graham crackers.
- (Optional Crust:.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and pecans.
- Press into the bottom of a 10" spring for pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool).
- Filling: Combine 2 cups of berries, Splenda white and brown (sugar), egg whites, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in large bowl of mixer.
- Beat on low speed to blend, then on high speed until peaks form, about 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold Cool Whip (or whipped cream) into berry mixture.
- Pour over graham crackers (or cooled crust).
- Cover, and freeze overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove sides of pan and garnish if desired.
This was a great dessert for people who are on a diet! I used blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. My pan must have been slightly small cause my crackers wouldn't fit in properly, but who cares! Great summer dish!
Delicious and so easy! We made the low carb/low fat version using frozen strawberries. Yummy! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often.
A nice tasting dessert & although I have no diet restrictions, I did stick with the diabetic changes! Used strawberries, though another time I'd like to try a combo of berries AND the 'optional crust, too, & the sugar & the whipping cream!! Thanks for sharing the recipe as I'm always interested in finding such recipes that I can make for my diabetic friends! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]