Recipe by Sweet Baboo
I found this recipe in Fare for Friends, a cookbook published in 1983 to raise money for Interim Place, a hostel for abused women and their children. Of necessity, I have made changes to accommodate a diabetic diet, but will give the original ingredients in parentheses. To further cut down on carbs and calories I usually just line a square serving dish with graham crackers (mine takes nine 2-1/2 inch squares) and eliminate the crust base, but if you don't have restrictions, by all means make the graham/nut base. The original recipe calls for strawberries, but I think any soft berry or fruit would work.
Top Review by Sam #3
This was a great dessert for people who are on a diet! I used blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. My pan must have been slightly small cause my crackers wouldn't fit in properly, but who cares! Great summer dish!
- 9 plain graham cracker squares (2 1/2-inch squares)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional) or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups sliced fresh berries (strawberries) or 2 cups drained frozen berries (strawberries)
- 1⁄2 cup splenda artificial sweetener (1cup sugar instead of both the Splenda ingredients)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup Cool Whip Lite (1/2 cup whipping cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a square serving dish with the graham crackers.
- (Optional Crust:.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and pecans.
- Press into the bottom of a 10" spring for pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool).
- Filling: Combine 2 cups of berries, Splenda white and brown (sugar), egg whites, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in large bowl of mixer.
- Beat on low speed to blend, then on high speed until peaks form, about 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold Cool Whip (or whipped cream) into berry mixture.
- Pour over graham crackers (or cooled crust).
- Cover, and freeze overnight.
- To serve, carefully remove sides of pan and garnish if desired.