1/1 Photo of Frozen Beef and Bean Burritos (oamc)
2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Great for making ahead and heating up in the microwave when you need one. You could also thaw them and heat, either through baking or frying (chimi).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lard or 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons adobo seasoning or 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 15 fresh 10-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Sort beans and place in a pot with 6 cups water.
- 2Soak overnight, or bring to a boil, cook for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat, allowing to sit undisturbed for 1 hour.
- 3Drain and rinse beans, and cover with 6 cups water.
- 4Bring to a boil, then cover, and simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours or until tender and creamy.
- 5Drain beans and retain cooking liquid.
- 6Brown ground beef with 6 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp adobo or salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp ground cumin.
- 7Cook until thoroughly done, breaking up any lumps as you cook.
- 8Cook onion and 6 cloves minced garlic in 4 tbsp lard in a deep skillet until tender.
- 9Add drained beans and mash until smooth and creamy, adding some of the cooking liquid if necessary (to adjust consistency to your liking).
- 10Season beans to taste with adobo seasoning or seasoned salt.
- 11Stir in cooked beef, tomato paste, and chopped green chilies.
- 12Warm tortillas briefly to soften them and make them easier to handle.
- 13Place about 1/2 cup beef/bean mixture on the center of the tortilla (if you use smaller tortillas, use less filling so you don't split the burrito).
- 14Top with about 2 tbsp shredded cheddar.
- 15Fold sides of tortilla toward the center, being closer together towards the side farthest from you (it will fan out some as it rolls, and this helps it to stay more even).
- 16Fold tortilla over filling and finish rolling up (like a cigar), but not too tightly.
- 17Place in plastic wrap, wrapping tightly to help keep its shape.
- 18Proceed the same way with remaining burritos.
- 19Place wrapped burritos into freezer bags or freezer containers and freeze until needed.
- 20To use, remove wrapping from burrito and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- 21Microwave 2-3 minutes or until hot, turning halfway through cooking.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frozen Beef and Bean Burritos (oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (2555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.5
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 572.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: