Recipe by * Pamela *
Can also be made into 2 8x8 pans instead of one large one to create 2 desserts. Cooking time is freezing time.
Top Review by Kzim4
I made this using some of my strawberry bounty. It is a great summer dessert! I only used a little bit of the crumb base and topping (only because I overcooked it). Next time I'll watch it a bit more closely and use it all. I like the little bit of crunch it adds. I also left out the nuts due to personal preference. Thanks for the yummy dessert!
Crumb Base and Topping
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts, or pecans, or sliced almonds)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, optional-good if using almonds for the nuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For crumb mixture, combine flour, nuts, margarine, and brown sugar. Spread evenly on to a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbs into a 13x9 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. In a small mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream into strawberry mixture.
- Spoon evenly over crumbs in baking pan. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
- Cover, label and freeze for least 6 hours or until firm; Serve frozen.