6 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe my mother has made for years. She always likes to tell people this dessert was served at John Steinbeck's house. It is a very light and refreshing treat after a heavy meal or on a warm summer night. The crust is cooked, but the top is frozen so it tastes similar to strawberry ice cream. This dessert needs to be frozen for at least six hours, so plan accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour, brown sugar, walnuts and melted butter.
- 2Place in a 9x13" baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Take out 1/3 of mixture and set aside. Press remaining mixture into baking dish.
- 4For filling: Whip whipping cream until peaks form; set aside.
- 5Combine egg whites, sugar, strawberries and lemon juice (MAKE SURE MIXER BLADES ARE CLEAN AND DRY OR EGG WHITES WILL NOT WHIP).
- 6Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- 7Fold in whipped cream.
- 8Spoon over crumb mixture.
- 9Sprinkle 1/3 crumb mixture over top.
- 10Freeze six hours or over night.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frosty Strawberry Squares
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.4
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 33.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g