Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe my mother has made for years. She always likes to tell people this dessert was served at John Steinbeck's house. It is a very light and refreshing treat after a heavy meal or on a warm summer night. The crust is cooked, but the top is frozen so it tastes similar to strawberry ice cream. This dessert needs to be frozen for at least six hours, so plan accordingly.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, walnuts and melted butter.
- Place in a 9x13" baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take out 1/3 of mixture and set aside. Press remaining mixture into baking dish.
- For filling: Whip whipping cream until peaks form; set aside.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, strawberries and lemon juice (MAKE SURE MIXER BLADES ARE CLEAN AND DRY OR EGG WHITES WILL NOT WHIP).
- Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon over crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 crumb mixture over top.
- Freeze six hours or over night.
I was just getting ready to post this myself. I got the recipe from a Southern cook. This is creamy and fresh tasting. The nut/crust bottom really gives it flavor. Roxygirl