Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a favorite of my dad. It was his father's favorite as well. Yummy and very easy to make! It is a very good 4th of July dessert. (cook time is freezer time)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Stir together first three ingredients, then add walnuts.
- Spread mixture evenly in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of these crumbs in 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, berries and lemon juice in a large bowl; beat at high speed to stiff peaks, about 10 minutes. (may beat egg whites & berry mixture 15 minutes at medium speed).
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon over crumbs (in baking pan).
- Top with remaining crumbs.
- Freeze 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut in squares.
- note- you'll need to let the dessert sit out a bit before you cut & serve.
This is such a treat. A great summer dessert because cool and creamy and a great winter dessert because it brings you the taste of summer.