Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From my My Great Recipes, using frozen strawberries, this is one of my favorite summertime treats. One hour in the freezer for best results.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Stir together flour, sugar, walnuts, and butter. Sprinkle this crumbly mixture onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 20 minutes, stirring a few times to break up the mixture.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add strawberries and lemon juice. Beat at high speed a few minutes (up to ten minutes depending on your mixer) until very light and fluffy. Fold in whipped cream.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumb mixture into a 13X9 inch pan. Spread strawberry mixture on top of crumbs. Top with rest of crumbs.
- Cover tightly and keep in freezer until time to serve, at least an hour. Garnish each square with fresh strawberries and promptly return to freezer any unused portion.
I enjoyed this not only because it's a frozen dessert, but also because it uses frozen strawberries which are available even in the colder months! This recipe is great ~ easy to make & the dessert tastes great! I didn't have fresh strawberries for the top, so used banana slices ~ Nice!! [Tagged, made & reviewed for Cupid's Choice Beverage Tag game]
Reviewed for AUs/NZ Forum Recipe Swap October 2010- Great recipe. Both my daughters want to give you 10 stars...so that's 5 stars from me and twnty from my girls :lol: I used a blended gluten-free flour and added in about 1/4 cup almond meal to make this recipe gluten-free suitable. TUrned out perfectly. An easy recipe and tasted great. a dessert worthy of serving ata dinner party and great that it can even be made days in advance. I left ours in the freezer for about three hours.....it needed a little longer (as you can see from the photo)....but we couldn't wait any longer to taste this very yummy dessert. 2nd day- definitely nicer more frozen. Photo has been posted also
Absolutely wonderful. :) This is tasty and easy, and best of all, it's ready when unexpected company arrives. I tasted the mixture before adding the whipped cream, and loved how strong the strawberry taste was. It was slightly 'diluted' after adding the cream, but no less delicious. However, I think I may increase the strawberry amount just to give it a stronger taste. Thanks so much Julie. I love 'ready' desserts, and this is at the top. Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #34