Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful and unusual old family recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Stir together the flour, brown sugar, walnuts and melted butter. Spread in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites, and gradually add sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir in sliced strawberries and lemon juice until juice from the strawberries turns the mixture pink. Fold in whipped cream.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumb mixture in a 9x12 or 10x13 pan. Spoon strawberry mixture over the crumbs. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
- Freeze. If dessert has frozen hard, thaw a little before serving.
I have been making it for several years and it is a grest dessert and so easy to make! I like it especially in the summer time but also have fixed it as a Christmas dessert using frozen strawberries. Usually though I use fresh berries. I have always used Cool Whip instead of whipped cream but I have heard it is even better with whip cream. I have even used Splenda instead of sugar and although sugar makes it a little better, it's still good. I am fixing this recipe tonight for company tomorrow!
What a great dessert! My husband - who is not a big fan of chocolate or really sweet desserts - declared it the best dessert ever! So simple, and a great way to use up berries that are past their prime. I'm confident it would work with pretty much any type of berries, or even a combination. I got a bit impatient in the early steps, and added my sugar rather quickly to the egg whites and it never really achieved "stiff peak" status, but it didn't matter a bit. Thanks for a great dessert! Update: I made this a second time, using almonds instead of walnuts and adding in some blueberries, with the same great success as with the original recipe.