4 hrs 15 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Posted for a request for recipes using gelatin. I have not tried this yummy sounding recipe that I found in The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. This is a cold souffle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a double boiler, stir gelatin with 1/4 cup sugar and salt until well mixed.
- 2In a small bowl with wire whisk, beat egg yolks with cold water and lime juice until mixed; stir into gelatin mixture and cook over hot, NOT BOILING, water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon.
- 3Remove from heat, stir in 1 teaspoon of grated peel and food coloring; pour into a large bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare collar for a 1-quart soufflé dish by cutting a piece of 12-inch-wide foil to fit around the soufflé dish and overlap by about 2 inches (it would be about 24 inches long for a 2-quart dish); then fold the foil in half lengthwise; carefully wrap foil strip around the outside of the dish so that the collar stands about 3 inches above rim; fasten the foil collar securely with a piece of cellophane tape.
- 5In a small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in 1/2 cup sugar; beat until sugar is completely dissolved- whites should stand in stiff peaks; spoon mixture into bowl with lime mixture.
- 6In a small bowl with mixer at medium speed, whip the cream; gently fold with beaten egg whites into lime mixture.
- 7Pour into prepared soufflé dish; chill until firm, at least 3 hours; carefully remove foil collar and garnish with remaining peel.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frosty Lime Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.4
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.5 mg
- Sodium 193.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of