Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here's a "frosty" version of this luscious desert.
Chocolate Pat-in-Pan Crust
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- whipped cream (optional)
- toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- For Crust:.
- Heat oven to 325. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute. Stir in cocoa and flour until mixture is crumbly. Press firmly and evenly against bottom and side of deep-dish pie plate 9x1 1/2 inches, or regular pie plate, 10 x 1 1/2 inches. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edge appears dry. Cool completely -- about 45 minutes.
- For Filling:.
- Melt butter and chocolate in 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Mix sugar and cornstarch with wire whisk, stir into chocolate mixture.
- Beat eggs in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored; stir into chocolate mixture. Cook chocolate mixture over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and glossy. Stir in vanilla. Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat whipping cream in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream. Pour over crust. Cover and freeze about 4 hours or until firm. Remove from freezer; let stand 30 minutes before cutting. Top with whipped cream, sprinkle with almonds.
- Store covered in freezer.