Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother received this recipe from a lady friend when I was a small girl and it's been a family favorite for Christmas every year since. We always used colored frostings for the centers. These are a very delicate cookie, so handle with care.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup frosting, for center
- Mix together butter( let butter soften) and powder sugar with mixer. Add vanilla and water, mix well.
- By hand add flour and salt til mixed and then add nuts.
- Roll into tsp size balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press each center with thumb.
- Bake at 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
- These cookies don't turn brown but you can tell they are baked.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely. Add frosting to each center and enjoy.
- Makes about 3 dozen.