Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
From Southern Living.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- Stir together the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat butter and next 3 ingredients at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Add cream cheese, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beat at low speed until blended.
- Divide dough in half, shaping into 2 flattened disks. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place one dough disk on a floured surface. Roll into 1/4 inch thickness; cut with 4-inch star shaped cutter (or your choice of cutter). Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- To make the frosting: Beat 1/4 cup butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons milk at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar and milk.
- Spread cookies with a thin layer of Frosting and top with sprinkles.