Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Akin to the Swedish smörgåstårta, this beautiful presentation looks a lot more complicated than it really is. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. A variation includes pimiento cheese salad. Cooking time is chilling time after assembly.
- 1 loaf unsliced bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (use a good quality, such as Hellman's)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb meat, cooked and minced (ham, turkey, beef, or salmon are all good)
- parsley (to garnish)
- Remove crusts from an unsliced rectangular loaf of day old bread.
- Cut 4 lenghtwise slices and spread with butter.
- Place a slice on a platter butter side down, spread it with mayonnaise, then cover with a layer of tomatoes.
- Spread another slice with mayonnaise and place it dressing side down on the tomato layer.
- Spread the top of this slice with a layer of the minced meat, cover with the third slice of bread butter side down.
- Spread it with mayonnaise and cover with a layer of lettuce.
- Spread the fourth slice of bread with mayonnaise and place it on the lettuce.
- Place cream cheese in a bowl and thin with just enough milk to make it spreadable.
- Frost the outside of the loaf.
- Garnish with parsley and place in the refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
- Cut into slices to serve.