Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I thought this was a different kind of cookie. I've never made them with rhubarb before. Can't wait to give them a try.
- 1 cup shortening (organic)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (organic)
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 4 tablespoons filtered water (add to the egg substitute)
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (Celtic sea salt)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb (fresh-organic-diced)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut (organic flaked)
- 3 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine (softened)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (organic)
- FOR THE COOKIE:.
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Cream the shortening, brown sugar and egg substitutes together.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the rhubarb and coconut.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto a baking sheet that has been covered with unbleached parchment paper. You might need two as this is a big recipe.
- Bake 12-15 minutes for each batch made.
- Cool the cookies.
- FOR THE FROSTING:.
- Beat the cream cheese, margarine and vanilla together well using a hand/stand mixer. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cookies.
- Bon Appetit!
These turned out great! Very moist and the rhubarb worked perfectly. I used white flour and subbed 1/4 cup of wheat flour. I thought this added a really nice texture that complemented the rhubarb. IMPORTANT NOTE: I changed the servings to 2! If you use this recipe for 5 servings, you need to add another half of all of the wet ingrediants, or the dough is too dry and crumbly!!