Recipe by Jezski
aka Coffee Raisin Bars. A good "olde" recipe from the 50's. Posted in answer to a request. We've been enjoying these for years. One of those old-fashioned cookie bars people always like. Not elegant or gorgeous but just plain good.
Top Review by CruellaDeVille
These are very similar to a fruit bar that a very popular grocery store in our area sells, I've always loved them. I think they would be just as good without the frosting, but hey you can never have enough frosting, right? Thanks for a timeless recipe, it's one that we'll enjoy for many years.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coffee (weak or strong) or 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup oleo
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- enough warm coffee to make frosting spreadable on warm cookie
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the liquid ingredients in pot, Bring to boil, boil 5 minutes, then let cool.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients with cooled ingredients.
- Spread in greased floured 11 x 15 pan.
- If batter is too thick, thin with sherry or rum or water before spreading.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes approximately
- Spread frosting on warm cake.
- I think you could adjust any of the spices to your own taste, but we liked it as is.