Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is dinner party fare. Looks like it stepped from a food magazine. Easy to make. All ingredients can be made ahead, then chilled & baked. If chilled allow 10 minutes more baking time. Make sure mashed potatoes are room temperature before frosting.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers or 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup Catalina dressing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (3 medium potatoes boiled)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 lb broiled mushroom
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl mix ground meat and A-1 sauce, minced onion, cilantro. Add beaten eggs, mix well. Add crackers or bread crumbs and catalina dressing and white pepper. Mix. Add cheese 1/2 cup at a time and mix, then add another until all cheese is mixed.
- Form into an oval loaf, place in low side baking pan. Chill if desired.
- Bake 350* 1 hour. Allow ten more minutes if chilled. I suggest placing a pan on the rack underneath to catch any grease drips from beef or turkey and the melted cheese sometimes drips from the bottom side. I have used a sharp cheese also. When cold this makes an excellent cold meat loaf sandwich. Some family members prefer cold.
- Cook 3 medium potatoes in water or microwave, peel and mash. Add beaten egg and miracle whip and salt. You may prepare instant potatoes if you desire. Make sure they are a little on the stiff side before adding the egg, miracle whip and salt.
- When loaf is baked, frost with mashed potatoes. Spread on with spatula. Make peaks all over it.You can also brush melted margarine over it but watch carefully when it is broiling.
- Broil about 5 inches away until peaks are browned. Take out of oven. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Broil fresh mushrooms at the same time.
- Let set ten minutes before serving. Cut in wedges. Serve on a platter with broiled fresh mushrooms surrounding the loaf and slices of lemon in between.