Recipe by PBShakes
Found this recipe in a sunset magazine. I made them for my Christmas packages. I am glad I gave most of them away because otherwise I'd have eaten all of them within hours! Lot's of praise has been received for my baking skills this year from the recipients. Soft texture, spicy flavor and yummy frosting.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more
- sugar, for rolling cookies
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and molasses and blend well.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Add butter to mixture and blend well.
- Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar. Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar. Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tbsp water and stir until smooth, then stir in lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over cookies and cool until glaze hardens.