Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nice and spicy!
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 177.44 ml butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 44.37 ml molasses
- 473.18 ml flour, sifted
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml freshly ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Add to butter mixture and blend well.
- Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar.
- Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tablespoons water and stir until smooth, then stir in lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
Fantastic cookies! Crunchy edges, chewy centers, delicious with or without the glaze --and the glaze is good enough to just eat with a spoon. They weren't quite gingery enough for me, but I think that's the fault of a less-than-ideal spice source, not the fault of the recipe.
Great cookies! They have fantastic flavor and a wonderful soft, chewy texture. I must have gotten a little happy with the glaze, as I did have to mix up more to finish the cookies, but otherwise made no changes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!