Recipe by Lvs2Cook
Nice and spicy!
Top Review by Kitchen Ninja
Fantastic cookies! Crunchy edges, chewy centers, delicious with or without the glaze --and the glaze is good enough to just eat with a spoon. They weren't quite gingery enough for me, but I think that's the fault of a less-than-ideal spice source, not the fault of the recipe.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in egg and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Add to butter mixture and blend well.
- Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar.
- Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks.
- Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tablespoons water and stir until smooth, then stir in lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over cookies.