Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
These are the best brownies that I have ever tried. They make large brownies with thick yummy frosting on them. I got the recipe from Country Woman magazine.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, plus
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 teaspoons butter or 6 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 2 2⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup milk
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cocoa and cool.
- While cooling, beat eggs and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-in.
- Bake at 350 for 25-28 minutes of until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla.
- Add enough milk until it achieves spreading consistency.
- Spread over brownies.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.
These are good brownies, but not fudge at all, more cake like. Not what I was hoping for. Frosting was easy and good.
These brownies turned out OK, but the frosting did not. There was no way to "cream" only 6 teaspoons of butter with all the confectioners sugar and cocoa. I ended up using an entire cup of butter in order to cream it with the sugar and cocoa and then added about 1/3 cup of milk to make it spreadable. The amount of butter necessary is either WAY off, or the directions should say to add the milk to the sugar and cocoa first so as to make a GLAZE and then add the butter. I
I made these last night for my son to take to school today for his birthday. He wanted brownies verses cupcakes, go figure. I so prefer homemade to box mix. These were easy, and oh so chocolatey goodness. I followed the recipe exactly, next time I think I'll add a little almond extract to the frosting for added flavor. Very good brownies, thanks for posting Brenda!