Recipe by Jemmadky
This recipe came from my sister who is the best baker in my family. These cookies are the best if you like soft, doughy, sweet cookies. I have never had them with the nuts, but if you choose to include them, use only half of the chocolate chips (6oz). Having a big sweet tooth, I never understood why people would ever use UN-sweetened chocolate squares, so I tried it with semi-sweet and man were they too sweet with the frosting! I have also seen my sister use cocoa in lieu of choc. squares, but am not sure of the exact measurement. Note: I usually use 1-2 tubs of the pre-made regular vanilla frosting (not whipped), but I couldn't remember the size of the container..hence the two cups....
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups vanilla frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and shortening adding sugar gradually.
- Beat well, then beat in egg.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler; stir into creamed mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt).
- Add to chocolate mix alternatively with milk.
- Mix well.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate chips and/or walnuts, if desired.
- Use teaspoons to drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I like bigger cookies so I use tablespoons.).
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 350°.
- Cool and frost.