Recipe by mollypaul
From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup light molasses
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk (add a little more for a thinner icing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease baking pans.
- Mix first three ingredients together and cool.
- Add molasses and eggs; mix well.
- Sift remaining ingredients together.
- Add to first mixture gradually.
- Spread batter in pans to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Bake until mixture springs back when pressed lightly with finger, about 25 minutes.
- Baking time depends upon thickness.
- When cool, frost with white icing and cut into squares.