1/1 Photo of Frosted Cinnamon Icebox Rolls
14 hrs 35 mins
This recipe is wonderful because you can prepare the rolls the night before and bake them in the morning. My mom's friend Inge shared this with our family over 30 years ago and it is still a family favorite. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14.17 g) package active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 473.18 ml milk
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml vegetable shortening
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml flour
- 59.16 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cinnamon, plus
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk to scalding, remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- 2In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 3Stir in cooled/scalded milk, 1/3 cup sugar, vegetable shortening, baking powder, salt, egg and 2 to 3 cups of flour.
- 4Beat until smooth.
- 5Mix in enough remaining flour to make a dough easy enough to handle.
- 6Turn dough out onto a floured board; knead 8-10 minutes.
- 7Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- 8Grease two 9x13x2-inch pans.
- 9Punch down dough and divide into two equal portions.
- 10On a lightly floured surface roll one half into a 12"x10" rectangle.
- 11Spread rectangle with 2 Tablespoons of the softened butter, leaving 1/2 inch edge for sealing.
- 12In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon (both the 1 Tablespoon plus the 1 teaspoon).
- 13Sprinkle half of the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the buttered portion of the dough.
- 14Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning at the wider side.
- 15Pinch edges of the dough to seal in the filling.
- 16Carefully cut the roll into 12 equal slices.
- 17Place the slices in one of the prepared pans.
- 18Repeat the process with the other portion of the dough.
- 19Wrap both pans in aluminum foil.
- 20Refrigerate at least 12 hours but no longer than 48.
- 21(To bake immediately, don't wrap in foil but cover and let rise in a warm place until double - 30 minutes - then bake as directed.
- 22Heat oven to 350°F
- 23Remove foil from pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- 24For icing: Combine the powdered sugar, 2 Tablespoons milk and vanilla until smoot and of a spreading consistency.
- 25Spread over rolls while warm.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Frosted Cinnamon Icebox Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.2
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.8 mg
- Sodium 270.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 3.9 g