Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
These moist, cake-like cookies make a pretty finish to a meal, and are perfect when you want something that's not gooey sweet. Adapted from a recipe by cookbook author Jeanne Voltz.(Adopted 9/06)
For the Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa (Dutch-processed makes richer cookies)
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 3 tablespoons espresso (hot)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- For the cookies, combine sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl, then stir in oil and mix until well-blended.
- Beat in egg.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in one bowl and the yogurt, espresso and vanilla in another.
- Alternate adding these mixtures, a little at a time, into the chocolate mixture.
- When fully mixed, fold in the walnuts.
- Drop onto a cookie sheet in mounds about the size of walnuts.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes@ 375 degrees, or until the top of the cookies start to crack.
- Remove and cool on wire racks.
- Make the glaze, mixing the butter, powdered sugar& cocoa, then beating in the espresso, salt& vanilla.
- Drizzle over the cooled cookies (for a no-mess solution, pour it into a plastic sandwich bag and poke a hole in one corner!) Then, before glaze sets, sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.
If you enjoy a rich, deep chocolate taste thats not too sweet and happen to be an espresso fan this is the recipe for you! I made a 2 dozen size recipe and that is exactly what I got (how often does that happen?). I used Double Dutch cocoa, fat free yogurt and egg white only for the cookies and Marra Mamba's recipe for Splenda Powdered Sugar to make the glaze. When you bite into a cookie it's like wonderful mocha cake in a thin cookie shell. These cookies will be appearing again at Christmas they are outstanding. Made for Photo Tag.