Recipe by scratchcook
Really yummy chocolate cake recipe that also makes delicious cupcakes! You don't even know that it's allergen free!
Top Review by AliBrooklynBaker
yummy, yummy, yummy! i have tried several gluten-free recipes from this site but they called for gluten-free flour blends - my results were mixed. this recipe has taught me that brown rice flour is the way to go! the cupcakes rose perfectly and had a very desirable texture - surprising for gluten-free. also, they were delectable! i brought them to my knitting group and each person had 2 - they were gone in 10 minutes. thank you so much for a great recipe and for opening my eyes to the magic of brown rice flour!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold unsweetened soymilk (or other dairy free milk, cold coffee, or water)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup milk (or diary free milk of choice, or water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8" square or 9" round cake pan with nonstick spray or line a dozen muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the brown rice flour, xanthan gum, cocoa, brown sugar, chocolate chips (if using), nuts (if using), baking soda, and salt.
- In a two cup glass measuring cup, measure the 1/2 cup oil, add the 1 cup of liquid, then add the vinegar and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes for cake or 25 minutes for cupcakes, or until the cake tests done. Set aside to cool.
- For frosting, combine the chocolate chips and milk/water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly until the chips are melted and the glaze is smooth. Spoon over the cooled cake and refrigerate until set.