Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe given to me by my Grandmother about 5 years ago when I was visiting her and we were sharing recipes. It is a great cake that is very moist and buttery.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 3⁄4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 3⁄4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- walnut halves, to decorate
- Grease a 7-inch deep round cake pan and line the base.
- Place the eggs and the sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture in light and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail that lasts a few seconds when lifted Preheat oven to 325F Sift the flour and cocoa powder and fold into the egg mixture with a spatula or metal spoon.
- Fold in the melted butter and chocolate, then the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until springy to the touch Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool completelyy.
- Cut the cold cake into 2 layers To make the frosting, melt the dark chocolate and let cool slightly.
- Beat together the butter, powdered sugar, and the milk in a bowl until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Whisk in the chocolate Sandwich the cake layers together with some of the frosting and then spread the remaining frosting on the top and the edges of the cake.
- Decorate with the walnut halves.