Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from my mother who happens to live in a retirement facility in Atlanta, GA. When she served it to me, I knew I had found the best way to serve one of my favorite vegetables. I can eat this dish until I can't move.
- Remove woody core from base of head, leaving the head whole.
- Cook Cauliflower in 2 T. water in a 1 1/2 quart covered glass dish in microwave oven for 6 to 7 minutes per pound.
- Rotate dish 1/4 turn halfway through cooking time if you don't have a turntable.
- (This can be done in a regular oven also by cooking until just tender.) Let the Cauliflower rest, covered for 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the next 3 ingredients and heat them in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Frost the entire top surface of the cauliflower with the mixture and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Return to microwave and cook until cheese melts.
- If desired, you may sprinkle with paprika for color.
An old family favorite - one of the first recipes for home microwaves in the early 80's. I suggest frosting with the cold mayonnaise/mustard mixture rather than heating before spreading. Also, you can use any type of prepared mustard - Dijon, yellow, Pommery etc
I have been making this for years with a few differences. I add curry powder to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture. I do not warm the mixture. Spread over the top of the steamed cauliflower, top with cheese & place in the oven until cheese is melted. Absolutely delicious!
Please give your Mom a kiss from me. This was a wonderful, easy recipe to prepare in the microwave on a warm day. I also reduced the mayo to 1/4 c and it was still very flavorful.