Recipe by grammyof3
Steamed cauliflower with a smooth, mustardy cheese sauce topping. People either love or hate this recipe, depending on their fondness for mustard. It's a much requested recipe at our family gatherings..
- 1 head cauliflower, cored & broken into medium florets
- 1 1⁄2 cups American cheese, grated or 1 1⁄2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 teaspoon yellow mustard, to taste (I use French's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse, core, and section into medium sized florets. Arrange florets on a steamer insert and place in a pan so that water barely reaches the bottom of the steamer. Steam 5-10 minutes until tender/crisp - not mushy. Remove cauliflower in steamer basket and set aside until time to serve. (This can be done even a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.).
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, cheese, and mustard together in a bowl. (Refrigerate if you are not using right away.).
- Just before serving, arrange florets in a microwavable bowl or casserole dish, and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes to reheat cauliflower. Top with cheese mixture, and microwave on high for 2-4 minutes more - until mixture melts on top the cauliflower but not until it scorches or runs off into the dish. Serve immediately.
- This recipe halves nicely: 1/2 head of cauliflower florets, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1/2-1 teaspoon mustard. Or, make the whole amount, but frost 2 halves of recipe in 2 dishes to be served 2 days in a row. (I would not try to freeze this recipe as it might end up runny.).