Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Not an overly sweet cookie, until you frost them. My family likes these and I usually make them around Easter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked carrot
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (add more if needed to get consistency you want)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make frosting: Add all frosting ingredients to a mixing bowl; beat until light and fluffy.
- To make cookies: Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl; stir to combine; set aside.
- Add shortening to a large mixing bowl; cream.
- Gradually add in sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add in the carrots and eggs; beat well.
- Add in dry ingredients; stir to mix well.
- Add in coconut; stir to mix.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet; place 2-inches apart.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to rack and let cool completely.
- Frost with Orange Frosting.