Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cookie swap time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 2⁄3 cup pecans
- Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. In another bowl beat sugar and shortening with electric mixer until combined. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat again. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beating after each addition. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 10 to 12 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Spread with Browned Butter Frosting.
- Browned Butter Frosting: In medium saucepan, heat and stir 1/2 cup butter over medium-low heat until golden brown (don't burn). Remove from heat. Stir in 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 1/2 t. vanilla, and 5 to 6 t. hot water. Beat till frosting is easy to spread. Use immediately. If it begins to set up, stir in a few drops of hot water and beat smooth again.
I love these cookies. My husband loves the frosting!