Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Jumbo apple pie for treating a crowd--have a pot of coffee ready to pour.
egg yolk pastry
- 5 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups lard
- 2 egg yolks
- cold water
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 lbs peeled thinly sliced tart apples (about 12 to 15 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- confectioners sugar icing
- FOR THE EGG YOLK PASTRY: Combine dry ingredients; cut in lard.
- Beat egg yolks slightly in measuring cup with fork and blend in enough cold water to make a scant cupful.
- Sprinkle over flour mixture, a little at a time, tossing with fork until mixture is moist enough to hold together.
- Roll out like any pastry.
- Makes pastry for 1 Frosted Big Apple Pie or 3 (2-crust) 9 inch pies.
- FOR THE PIE: Roll out half the pastry into rectangle and use to line 15 1/2 inch X 10 1/2 inch X 1 inch jelly-roll pan.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on apples.
- Place half the apples in bottom of pastry-lined pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except apples and frosting.
- Sprinkle half the mixture over apples in pan.
- Spread remaining apple slices on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar-spice mixture.
- Top with remaining pastry, rolled out; seal and crimp edgesl.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Cut vents or prick with fork as for all 2-crust fruit pies.
- Bake in hot oven (400 degrees F) 50 minutes.
- When cool, drizle with confectioners sugar mixed with milk to make a thin icing.
- Cut in squares to serve.
- Makes 24 servings.