Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
These delicious squares are good enough for quests. Absolutely yummy!
Make and share this Frosted Apple Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk (approximately)
- 2⁄3 cup corn flake crumbs
- 5 cups sliced pared apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Put egg in a 1-cup measure.
- Add enough of the milk to bring to the 2/3 cup level.
- Stir together and add to the pastry mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Shape into a ball.
- Dought will be soft.
- Divide in half.
- On a floured pastry cloth, roll one piece of dough into a 10" X 12" rectangle.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
- Spread with apples, sugar and cinnamon, leaving a bare border of dough of about 3/4".
- On a floured pastry cloth, roll the remaining piece of dough into another 10" X 12" rectangle.
- Place over the apple mixture on the other piece of dough.
- Pinch edges firmly together to hold in the filling.
- Brush top with egg white.
- Bake at 400F for about 40 minutes, or until done.
- Combine icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Remove apple concoction from the oven.
- While still hot, drizzle the glaze over all.
- Cool slightly as we don't want burnt lips.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.