Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
These delicious squares are good enough for quests. Absolutely yummy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk (approximately)
- 2⁄3 cup corn flake crumbs
- 5 cups sliced pared apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Put egg in a 1-cup measure.
- Add enough of the milk to bring to the 2/3 cup level.
- Stir together and add to the pastry mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Shape into a ball.
- Dought will be soft.
- Divide in half.
- On a floured pastry cloth, roll one piece of dough into a 10" X 12" rectangle.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
- Spread with apples, sugar and cinnamon, leaving a bare border of dough of about 3/4".
- On a floured pastry cloth, roll the remaining piece of dough into another 10" X 12" rectangle.
- Place over the apple mixture on the other piece of dough.
- Pinch edges firmly together to hold in the filling.
- Brush top with egg white.
- Bake at 400F for about 40 minutes, or until done.
- Combine icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Remove apple concoction from the oven.
- While still hot, drizzle the glaze over all.
- Cool slightly as we don't want burnt lips.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.