Prep 84 hrs
Cook 15 mins
The traditional buttery-soft French cheese is transformed into a delicious vegan version that's ready to be stuffed into a warm baguette. Or what about wrapped inside a puff pastry with raspberry jam? This recipe takes some time, but most of it is waiting. Luckily you can make ahead, or even freeze.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup refined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar
- Soak cashews in water for 3 hours if you have a high-speed blender (vitamix), 8 hours for a normal blender. Then drain. (The longer you soak, the smoother the cheese.).
- In the blender, combine cashews, 1 cup water, yogurt, coconut oil, nutritional yeast and 1 tsp salt. Process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours. (Taste occasionally to check the flavor.).
- Pour mixture into a medium saucepan and using a whisk, mix in tapioca powder and agar agar. Heat over medium heat stirring frequently. Cook until mixture is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan (about 5 minutes).
- Line a 6-inch cake pan with cheesecloth and pour in hot cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly and let cool in refrigerator for 4 hours or until firm. The inside will still be very soft.
- Remove from pan and remove cheesecloth. Wet hands then sprinkle them with 1/4 teaspoons salt and rub wet salt all over the cheese. Place cheese on a wire rack and let sit in a cool spot for 24 hours. Flip cheese over and let rest 12 hours until it appears dry. Wrap in wax paper and store in refrigerator for 2 weeks or put in a plastic bag and store in the freezer.