Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A vegan crockpot recipe from "The Vegan Slow Cooker," by Kathy Hester
For the stew
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large stalk celery, minced
- 354.88 ml seitan, cubed (diced tofu or beans also works)
- 453.59 g vegetables, diced (I use green beans, carrots, potatoes)
- 236.59 ml water, plus more if needed
- 29.58 ml vegan chicken-flavored bouillon or 29.58 ml vegetable bouillon
- 4.92 ml thyme, dried
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml flour, if needed
For the Biscuits
- 236.59 ml white flour or 236.59 ml whole wheat flour or 236.59 ml gluten-free flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml soymilk
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all the stew ingredients except flour in the slow cooker. Add 1 to 2 extra cups water if you will be cooking for longer than 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add more water if too thick or flour if too thin.
- Make the bicuits: Combine all biscuit ingredients in a bowl and work together until dough forms.
- Turn mixture onto floured cutting board, roll out 1/2 inch thick, and cut into circles with rim of glass. Place in the slow cooker on top of filling.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Prop open lid with wooden spoon or place dishtowel under lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto biscuits.
- Cook additional 30 minutes.