Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A vegan crockpot recipe from "The Vegan Slow Cooker," by Kathy Hester
Make and share this From-The-Pantry Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
For the stew
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large stalk celery, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups seitan, cubed (diced tofu or beans also works)
- 1 lb vegetables, diced (I use green beans, carrots, potatoes)
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons vegan chicken-flavored bouillon or 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour, if needed
For the Biscuits
- 1 cup white flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all the stew ingredients except flour in the slow cooker. Add 1 to 2 extra cups water if you will be cooking for longer than 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add more water if too thick or flour if too thin.
- Make the bicuits: Combine all biscuit ingredients in a bowl and work together until dough forms.
- Turn mixture onto floured cutting board, roll out 1/2 inch thick, and cut into circles with rim of glass. Place in the slow cooker on top of filling.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Prop open lid with wooden spoon or place dishtowel under lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto biscuits.
- Cook additional 30 minutes.