Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a great cooking class I attended in Morton, Illinois.
Make and share this "from the Field" Lobster and Crab Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 3 ounces shrimp stock
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons frozen green peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 ounces cooked lobster meat
- 2 ounces lump crabmeat
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced tarragon
- 1⁄4 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted and golden brown. Stir often.
- Add shallots and cook until softened (about 1 minute).
- Add Cognac and cook until it is almost completely evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir to combine, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp stock and milk. Whisk until smooth. Cook until mixture is thickened.
- Add heavy cream, peas, salt, nutmeg, cayenne, and thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set aside until cooled.
- While mixture is cooking, cut the lobster into bite sized pieces.
- Add lobster, crab, chives, and tarragon to mixture.
- Place in small (single serving) baking dish and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut pastry, leaving enough room for 3/4 lip around baking dish.
- Pinch pastry around edges of baking dish, sealing it.
- Mix egg yolk and water.
- Brush egg mixture on top of the pastry.
- Cut one small slit in center of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and contents are bubbling.