Recipe by Cat Berner
I searched but didn't see another recipe exactly like this one posted, so I hope I'm not posting a repeat! You'll never go back to canned soup tuna noodle casserole after trying this, at least I certainly haven't. This is from Better Homes and Gardens.
Top Review by CHEF GRPA
I think this dish has a lot of potential, and I'm sure I'll make it again. Before attempting this again, I'll figure out what seasonings will work for me to make it more flavorful.
I made this again tonight, and it was a lot better! I added some fresh dill, as dill is really good paired with just about any fish. I also tripled the amounts of garlic and black pepper that went into it; it was very flavorful this time around. I've added this to my recipe book with my additions. Substituting 2 cans of chicken in place of the tuna..(for some reason people here think they don't like hot tuna!;)) I think I'd also make a bit more of the gravy mixture next time because I'd have liked it a little creamier, but considering I didn't really put exactly 8oz of noodles in, (dumped more on accident)it is probably the reason it wasn't as creamy. Anyway, excellent recipes.
- 3 cups medium noodles or 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted plus
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (9 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red peppers or 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook noodles, drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Set aside.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and celery in 1/4 cup butter until softened.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard powder, and black pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Whisk until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Combine sauce, tuna, cheese, roasted pepper or pimiento, and cooked noodles.
- Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and breadcrumbs are golden brown.