1/1 Photo of From Scratch Tuna Noodle Casserole
Cat Berner's Note:
I searched but didn't see another recipe exactly like this one posted, so I hope I'm not posting a repeat! You'll never go back to canned soup tuna noodle casserole after trying this, at least I certainly haven't. This is from Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups medium noodles or 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted plus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (9 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers or 1/4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cook noodles, drain, and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- 4Set aside.
- 5For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and celery in 1/4 cup butter until softened.
- 6Stir in flour, salt, mustard powder, and black pepper.
- 7Add milk all at once.
- 8Whisk until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- 9Combine sauce, tuna, cheese, roasted pepper or pimiento, and cooked noodles.
- 10Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- 11Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
- 12Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for From Scratch Tuna Noodle Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 631.1
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 143.9 mg
- Sodium 852.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 33.1 g