4 hrs 35 mins
I had this about a week ago for my Fiance before he left on a Motorcycle trip with 2 of his friends. (Note, that I would have gone with them had it not been for work) asked him the day before he left what he wanted for supper before he left, and all he said he wanted was chicken and dumplings. So, I started up my famous chicken stock recipe, and started looking for dumpling recipes up here. I had know idea though, that I would find the best dumpling recipe I had ever tried. I would like to give recogition to Christine Bettiga for her dumpling recipe. I wrote to her and told her that I just had to use her recipe because the soup just wouldn't be the same without it. Thanks Christine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large chicken thighs (cheap and perfect for stock)
- 4 large carrots, cut into thirds
- 5 stalks celery, cut into thirds
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 16 cups water
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs chicken tenders or 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
Christine Bettiga Dumplings
- 1In a large stock pot, brown the chicken thighs with a little butter and oil.
- 2Add the rest on the stock ingredients, bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 4 hours.
- 3Strain out all the chicken, veggies, and cinnamon stick.
- 4(You can use the chicken again for a really great chicken salad or sandwich. Just get creative).
- 5In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat, add the chicken, just brown the outside, toss it in the stock pot with the stock.
- 6Add the second tablespoon of butter to the skillet, melt it, brown the soup veggies in it, and toss them in the stock pot.
- 7Add the salt to the soup and let it all simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour over medium-low heat.
- 8To Make Christine's Dumplings:.
- 9Mix together in a bowl the flour, salt and baking powder. Bring to just a simmer in a small saucepan the butter and milk. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2 to 3 times until the mixture just comes together. Divide the dough into about 16 small puffy dumplings. Roll each piece of dough into a small rough ball Gently lay the formed dumplings on the surface of the soup.
- 10Cover and simmer for 10 minutes Serve immediately.
- 13Save the left over chicken stock for chicken noodle soup, more chicken and dumplings, gravies, or sauces.
- 14If you would like to freeze it; feel free to do so.
- 15Just don't waste it!
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for From Scratch, Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (1661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 903.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 237.5 mg
- Sodium 2226.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 76.4 g