sprout 13's Note:
I didn't see any recipes for cherry brownies that don't use pie filling or box mix, so I came up with my own. The cherries make the brownies very moist and add subtle fruit flavor. I bet you could use other canned or cooked fruits in this (berries, peaches, pears) with good effect. The base brownie recipe comes from "The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery" ca. 1949 and it's still a super recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (can use shortening)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (almond would be good too)
- 2/3 cup dark cherries in light syrup, very well drained
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional) or 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Grease a 9" square pan.
- 3Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in the microwave.
- 4Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk briefly to aerate (could sift, but I find it messier).
- 5In a separate bowl, beat eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add sugar in three additions, beating well between additions.
- 6Add the butter/chocolate mixture to the egg/sugar mixture and mix thoroughly.
- 7Add the wet mixture to the dry. Stir very gently just until combined.
- 8Add cherries and chips and stir just until distributed.
- 9Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with nuts if desired.
- 10Bake for 20-30 minutes. The edges should pull away from the pan slightly when they're done. Don't overbake.
- 11Note: The original recipe says 20 minutes. Mine took 30. I can't tell if my oven's off or the cherries are causing the baking time to be longer.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for From-Scratch Cherry Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 98.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g