Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Southern Special Recipe. The original for this one came from Nathalie Dupree. I've changed it quite a bit. Enjoy
- 3 lbs hot Italian sausage links
- 1 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, cleaned
- 2 1⁄2 heads garlic, peeled (30-40)
- 16 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 hot peppers, chopped
- 8 lemons, halved
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 bunch parsley, tied together
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 16 ears corn, husked and chopped into 4 pieces each
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 6 lbs shrimp (in the shell)
- 5 quarts water
- In a heavy stockpot brown sausage until done.
- Remove sausage.
- Add the 5 quarts of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the spuds, garlic and onions and return to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 15 minute.
- Add the sausage, hot peppers, lemons, old bay, parsley and vinegar.
- Cover and simmer 15 min longer.
- Add the salt, pepper and corn and bring back to a boil.
- Add the tabasco and the shrimp and poach until the shrimp are done-no more than 5 minute.
- Remove the lemon halves and the tied parsley.
- This parts up to you.
- You can ladle out the shrimp, sausage and veg and serve on a plate-broth in a bowl, or you can reserve the broth for something else, or you can serve together.
- All in all I think the best way is strained, served on paper plates set on newspaper so you have somewhere to put the shells and cobs.
This is delicious! I used the Vegetarian Field Roast Brand of Mexican Chipotle Sausage. The vegetables were really fresh and it was a hearty stew at the same time.