Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy crab cake recipe I have fine tuned to my liking. I serve with garlic herb pilaf.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over to remove cartilage and shell fragments
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- Heat a medium size pan over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted add the shallot, 1 clove of garlic and red pepper. Lightly saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, fresh parsley, 1/2 cup of the panko and egg. Mix in cooked vegetables, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add crabmeat and stir well.
- Form crab cakes. Flatten until they're about 3/4 inches high. Dip the cakes into the remaining panko.
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat. Add crab cakes and saute, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Mmmm, we liked these little cakes, they were very different from anything we have had. Dh will not eat mayonnaise so I didn't tell him it was in them and he was none the wiser, that was a bit sneaky, but he loved them so what's he harm? I made them as written but my crab came out of a tin and I am sure it would be even better with fresh crab. Thank you for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2011.