Recipe by FLFroggie
A spicy crab cake recipe I have fine tuned to my liking. I serve with garlic herb pilaf.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
Mmmm, we liked these little cakes, they were very different from anything we have had. Dh will not eat mayonnaise so I didn't tell him it was in them and he was none the wiser, that was a bit sneaky, but he loved them so what's he harm? I made them as written but my crab came out of a tin and I am sure it would be even better with fresh crab. Thank you for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over to remove cartilage and shell fragments
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium size pan over medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted add the shallot, 1 clove of garlic and red pepper. Lightly saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, fresh parsley, 1/2 cup of the panko and egg. Mix in cooked vegetables, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add crabmeat and stir well.
- Form crab cakes. Flatten until they're about 3/4 inches high. Dip the cakes into the remaining panko.
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat. Add crab cakes and saute, flipping once, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.