Recipe by luvanvranken
This is an old fashioned frog-eyed salad made with the custard that is made the night before. Delicious!
Top Review by Lyssie71
I had some of this salad the other day from a local eatery. I knew I HAD to find the recipe. OMGoodness!! This is sooo goood and right on the money! I'm not a fan of marshmallows or mandarin oranges, so I omitted them. I used 40 oz. of crushed pineapple, and love the texture! I used the juice from the cans of pineapple for the pineapple juice. This recipe is so unique and tasty!! All the girls are going to be fighting over it now! :-)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 3⁄4 cups pineapple juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups acini di pepe pasta
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges (drained, or may use 2 cans)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (drained)
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 cup colored miniature marshmallows (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the first four ingredients stirring constantly until thick - let cool.
- In 5 cups boiling water cool the macaroni for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Rinse macaroni under COLD water and drain well. Add to the above cooked ingredients. Refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.
- Right before serving combine the last five ingredients to the custard.