Prep 12 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A fluffy, delectable salad using A small round pasta as its base; whipped up with pineapple and mandarin slices in a pineapple sauce - then add whipped topping, miniature marshmallows and coconut for a tropical delight.________*I like to use the colored marshmallows and a small can of extra cherry mixed fruit, well drained.* When my mother first made this for a family gathering, my sisters and I saw the pasta in the refrigerator - it was white. I offered that frogs were green, so we put in a bit of color. My mother was really puzzled when she saw the green pasta and spoke to herself "It's never done this before!" My sisters and I just started laughing so hard that we cried REAL TEARS!! My mother, however, just continued looking puzzled until we "fessed up".________ I included the chill time to the final prep time, just so you'll know.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and place over-night in the refrigerator.
- Bring water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill over night or for several hours in the refrigerator.
- About 2 hours prior to serving: In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping.
- Mix well and refrigerate to set.
- Before serving add marshmallows and coconut.
- Toss and serve.